Thursday, February 4, 2010

Class Experiment

Well, I have taken the plunge even though I probably need more practice myself. What plunge have I taken? My second hour English 11B students are working on Wiki papers in groups of two or three. At the moment, they are just putting resources on a page. I was able to show them how they could include YouTube presentations and how to link sites to their pages. One girl said that she was actually enjoying doing the research this way. (She is one that normally does not enjoy class work!) This is the second (and final) trimester for these students in English 11. We normally do a traditional research paper during the second trimester. Instead of doing that, I am trying the Wiki paper in groups. I don't know how this decision will affect their next English class! I just know in twelve weeks, I can't cover the literature and the writing that I should. I thought the students might actually gain more from the Wiki paper. Time will tell whether or not I made a good decision! The Wiki paper definitely meets the collaboration standard!

2 comments:

  1. Very cool Judy,
    It was interesting about 4 days ago one of our 11th grade English teachers was walking through the library and I asked her if I could show her something. I showed her the Wiki that we have been working on a group. We viewed the various pages and when I showed her the history page she immediately saw the value to her class as a tool for things like peer editing and she asked me to send her the link so she could look at setting one up for herself. I could say that it is always nice to see these young teachers with their energy and interest in learning new applications for their classroon, however that isn't the case here. Georgia, the teacher I am speaking of has taught for 34 years and is retiring at the end of this year and she still is looking for new techniques to help deliver curriculum. In my estimation this is the embodiment of the definition of "Master Teacher."
    bye for now
    bf

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Judy! It's going to work out great :) It's such nice feeling when a student who isn't normally invloved in class gets excited about doing school work!

    ReplyDelete