Sunday, February 7, 2010

May the Force Be with You

I just watched the class video that was posted under announcements yesterday. Wow! I have always said that the mind was a powerful thing (paraphrase of John Milton: "The mind can make a hell of heaven and a heaven of hell.") The thought of what is in that video is truly mind-boggling for me. I have done an experiment with a string and a washer that has always amazed me because it appears that the mind is controlling which way the washer moves on the string, but this video left me speechless! My students and I have discussed many of the changes in education since I started teaching. The changes during this century seem to be coming at a faster pace than during the previous four decades that I have been involved in education. As a class, we tried to imagine what the next big thing might be. I will have to share this video with them.

Even though the work for this class seems insurmountable (I just lack the needed time and creativity to complete everything!), I appreciate all of the new experiences that have been opened to me. I have such great food for thought. I have so many things that I want to try with my students. I have so much I want to learn. True knowledge is knowing what you do and do not know! There is so much that I do not know, but I want to learn more.

I hope that the little saying "I am only one, but I am one; I can't do everything, but I can do something. That which I ought to do, by the grace of God, I will do" will get me through everything!

It probably would help if I didn't have a huge yearbook deadline looming over my head. Now I just need to take a deep breath and relax. I need to think like the little train that could: "I think I can; I think I can; I think I can..."

No comments:

Post a Comment