Saturday, January 30, 2010

First Wiki Assignment

I found something interesting, but it was also confusing. For our class Wiki, I went in through Blackboard when I was at school the other day because I wanted to add some things. However, the page had the word "Protected" at the top instead of "Edit Page." I thought that perhaps the page had just been removed early. Then I didn't have an opportunity to check the page Thursday or Friday because of school commitments. Today, I was using my home computer, which has the class Wiki page bookmarked. Today I could edit again. I am not sure what the difference is.

I have the second question, and I will start research either later today or Sunday. Again, we have a yearbook deadline, and I have to get the pictures ready for the students on Monday. I told them that they only had three class periods to do these pages, which means I need to get the pictures ready myself so that they only have to set up the layouts, place the pictures, write the captions and headlines, and proofread and print their pages. In addition, the athletic director asked if I would get a picture ready to send to the newspaper, which isn't a big deal in itself, but it will take a little time as well. There is never a dull moment in the life of an English teacher who also facilitates the production of the yearbook, which is completely self-sufficient. That is another story!

I did do something this morning to boost my spirits and motivate me. I drove around the corner to visit my almost two-year-old granddaughter and her mom, my younger daughter. I hadn't seen Payter-Bug for almost a week because of my hectic school schedule. What a breath of fresh air and a little bit of sunshine! If nothing else can boost my spirits, little Payter-Bug can! Your own children change your life in many ways, but grandchildren put a whole new spin on things! I have been blessed with five--so far! One lives around the corner, and the other four are in K-zoo.

2 comments:

  1. When you were at school did you log into the wiki? If not that is why you could not edit anything on the page. Then when you went to the wiki on your home computer it recognized I believe your IP address because you have been editing on that computer. If I am wrong then someone can correct my and I will not be offended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went to the class wiki through Blackboard at school. I did the same thing on a different computer at home. I have it bookmarked on my newer laptop, and that let me in. But I will remember this for future use! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete